Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring Cleaning Much?

It's spring break down here, and it is nothing but cold and wet! What's a girl to do?

Well, because of my master's exams, I have really neglected my house and my vanity area. So, when it's raining non-stop and cold outside, there's no better thing to do than to get organized and get it all cleaned up.

This post might be preaching to the choir, but a lot of women don't know that make up expires! It's not meant to last forever ladies! So, it's a good rule of thumb about twice a year to thumb through your makeup counter and get rid of older products. (Especially with all those harsh preservatives lying around).

First things first, learn how to read your labels. Many products feature a little picture of a container with 6m/12m/24m. This tells you how long the makeup's shelf life is.

Here are some general guidelines as to how long things last (synthesized from various internet sources and my own makeup box):
Foundation : anywhere from 1 year to 1.5 years
Concealer: about 1 year Powder: about 1 year Blush/Bronzer: 1 -1.5 years
Eyeshadow: 1-2 years
Kohl (crayon) eyeliners: about 2 years
Liquid eyeliners: 3-6 months
Mascara: 3-6 months Lipstick/lip liner: 24 months Lipliner: 18 -24 months
Nail polish: 12 months

It's also important to know that if you are a mineral/organic makeup gal, your shelf life is usually cut in half! So, again, it's important to read your boxes, labels, and packaging and clean house every so often.

Remember: these are just guidelines. You gotta look for the little container on the box. And above all else, if you can't remember when you bought it, throw it out! If you're not hitting pan on an item, it means you're probably not in love with it so much that you would miss it. :D

Pictures and a fun little video to come soon...or maybe not. I'm really just learning to work iMovie. Regardless, I hope ya'll have a nice day!

sba

1 comment:

Michelle Mara said...

I love cleaning out the make-up because that means you can get new stuff!
And anything that's not expired but I don't use it, I give it to my friends pre-teen kids to play with!