Wednesday, September 23, 2009

So, after watching a Ricebunny live chat, I have stumbled upon some disturbing news. While live chatting, RB said that tocopheryl acetate (commonly known to us beauty gals as the highly touted Vitamin E), WAS CANCER CAUSING. (EEK!) So, knowing that a YT guru is not infallible, I decided to consult a higher and more authoritative source: Cosmetics Safety Database. Here, at this website, they published all known carcinogens within makeup, results of the makeup from the FDA, and any independent studies' conclusive results.

Guess what? Vitamin E in your lipgloss IS BAD FOR YOU. Read it here: Vitamin E sucks.

This is not to say you should avoid it altogether; I recognize that the industry uses this in almost every lipstick and chap stick out there. My concern is that it's on your lips. If you just applied, and then you eat, you're ingesting Vitamin E. That's the part that creeps me out. Plus, I also realize that you probably would have to reapply your chap stick every 3 seconds to achieve a "moderate dose" like the website describes, but better safe than sorry right? (especially if you have a cancer prone family history like mine).

But what really ticks me off is that the FDA lets these chemicals pass. If we didn't have chemicals like this that "could" be harmful, we wouldn't have to test on animals, now would we? (Don't even get me started opening that can o' worms).

Oh well, burt's bees. You were an awesome lip care lip gloss. Good by Soft Lips chap stick. I guess I will be trying my best to stick with everyday mineral's jojoba oil based lipsticks/lip care. Their stuff is better anyways. :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yikes! now i'm going to be paranoid about my lipstick!